Summary of Skills
Training, budget management, staff management, project administration, web site administration, fund-raising, documentation, event planning, marketing & communication, purchasing, technical troubleshooting.
American University, School of International Service; Washington, DC. December 2006
MA, International Communication. Concentrations: Culture and Technology. GPA: 4.0/4.0
Courses included: Training Program Design; Cross-cultural Communication; Public Service Advertising.
Macalester College; St. Paul, MN. May 1998
BA, English and Communication Studies. Officer, Lambda Pi Eta.
Kodaikanal International School; Tamil Nadu, India. 1991-1994. International Baccalaureate certificates (two higher-level and two sub-level) and accredited US high school diploma.
Associate Director for Management and Budget - Center for Teaching Excellence, AU - Washington, DC - April 2006-June 2009
- Manage $2,000,000 annual budget to enhance faculty use of classroom technology; includes formulation of annual and biennial budget request submissions and projections.
- Procure equipment for CTE, including over $500,000 annually in computer and AV equipment.
- Negotiate with University colleagues to secure funding from internal and external (grant) sources.
- Facilitate, support, edit, and provide budgetary and planning insight into grant-seeking process.
- Develop and implement marketing plan with consistent branding, creating and managing creation of materials including brochures, posters, and completely redesigned website.
- Edit and produce biannual newsletter, Arete, distributed to approximately 2000 AU faculty.
- Collaborate on, consult on, and manage a range of projects, from proposal to completion, including creation of high-technology classroom, upgrades of computer labs and specialized facilities, and installation of AV equipment in University event spaces.
- Organize Center events, including tenure-track faculty orientation, ranging in size from 30 to 150.
- Serve as main Human Resources liaison for CTE, including: writing contracts, creating job descriptions, soliciting applications, reviewing qualifications, interviewing, hiring, and training both full-time and part-time staff. (CTE includes 17 full-time and more than 50 part-time employees.)
- Manage staff of four in maintaining effective budget oversight, implementing marketing initiatives, and addressing needs of faculty, students, staff, and community members.
TALK Program Facilitator - International Student & Scholar Services, AU - Washington, DC - Jan.-May 2008
- Led diverse group of students in discussions of cross-cultural communication
- Designed sessions to elicit valuable conversations and share information about culture
- Worked collegially with co-facilitator to create supportive environment
Graduate Fellow - Center for Teaching Excellence, AU - Washington, DC - Sept. 2004-April 2006
- Taught Excel, Word, Publisher, PowerPoint, Photoshop, Fireworks, Dreamweaver, & Flash.
- Customized workshops for users at a variety of skill levels, including students, faculty, & staff.
- Mapped, designed, and implemented web sites for authors and educational programs.
- Spearheaded the Ann Ferren Teaching Conference at AU, with record attendance, in 2006.
- Planned and executed conferences and ongoing events ranging in size from 30 to 150.
- Resolved Blackboard user technical issues, to facilitate electronic learning.
- Solved a wide variety of computer-related problems.
Webmaster & Designer - Intercultural Management Institute, AU - Washington, DC - Sept. 2005-April 2006
- Created templates for web site composed of over 100 pages (www.imi.american.edu).
- Maintained consistent branding across web site and printed publications.
- Designed flyers, advertisements, and posters.
- Led use of MS Access and Lotus Notes Designer to send HTML emails to over 1000 individuals.
Fund-Raising Intern - US.OneWorld.Net - Washington, DC - June-August, 2005
- Identified over twenty potential funders for nonprofit organization.
- Researched and built detailed database of over fifty charitable organizations.
- Wrote initial Letter of Inquiry, subsequently used as template for all grant applications.
- Created database of potential funders that has remained useful to OneWorld through May 2007.
Publicist - Llewellyn Worldwide - St. Paul, MN - 2002-2004
- Managed author visibility, cemented author-publisher relationships, and increased sales by obtaining reviews, planning tours, and arranging interviews for 40 authors.
- Raised revenues by managing publicity for Llewellyn's highest-grossing book in 2003.
- Facilitated book signings, dinner parties, and promotions at international trade shows.
- Organized and consolidated publicity campaign information, and press kits.
- Increased efficiency by organizing and documenting internal policies and procedures.
Technical Editor & Writer - Retek, Inc. - Minneapolis, MN - 2000-2002, 2004
- Delivered user, reference, and back-end documents and help for fifteen different products.
- Ensured consistent, professional, company-wide style by creating and maintaining style guide and template, and editing all documents produced by a team of ten writers.
Technical Writer & Editor - Signorelli & Associates - St. Paul, MN - 1998-2000
- Published engineering catalog, maintaining consistency between print and CD-ROM formats.
- Increased company adaptability by creating help in WinHelp, print/PDF, and Web-based formats.
back to top
Skilled with both PC & Mac platforms.
Experienced with: Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Publisher, Access; Macromedia Dreamweaver, Fireworks, & Flash; Lotus Notes and Lotus Notes Designer; Blackboard; Adobe Acrobat Reader/Writer/Distiller, Photoshop, and InDesign; ACT!; PTA; & Oracle database systems.
back to top
Intermediate: French; Basic: Arabic, Turkish and Spanish.
back to top
Resident: Bahrain, Canada, Cyprus, India, Kuwait, Turkey.
Visitor: Belize, Egypt, Fiji, Hungary, Japan, Mexico, the Netherlands, Oman, Singapore, Sri Lanka, Tanzania, United Arab Emirates, United Kingdom.
back to top
Honors and Activities
- SIS Dean's List, 2005.
- Vice President, OneWorld AU Club, 2005.
- Founder and Chairwoman, Creative Collective Artists' Co-op, Minneapolis, MN 2000-2002.
- Secretary, Lambda Pi Eta, Communications Honor Society, St. Paul, MN, 1998.
- Alto, Festival Chorale and Seven Deadly Sins musical groups, St. Paul, MN, 1994-1999.
- Green belt, Tae Kwon Do, St. Paul, MN, 1997.
- Tahr Award, Hiking, Kodaikanal International School, India, 1992-1994.
back to top